Monday, June 11, 2012

You Are What You Eat

Many people use the expression: "you are what you eat." But when it comes down to it, what exactly does that mean? I love sweets like hot tamales,
therefore I am sweet with a kick?

I ask anyone who reads this blog to examine what exactly it means to say you are what you eat. It's an expression that I personally believe in (although not in as literal a sense as my hot tamale example). But I think that when it comes down to it, we all take for granted the energetic transfer that occurs from our food into our bellies. Quite simply, food is energy. With such a curt statement, I do not mean to take away an hedonistic pleasure found in food. Food is a delicious and enjoyable energy source. Sadly, it has also become a troublesome source for most Americans today.

If this topic interests you, check out best-selling author Michael Pollan's work i.e. Food Rules, Omnivore's Dilemma, or In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. He is witty and funny in his explanations of why certain foods are better for you than others.
Also check out this article where Pollan gives readers "7 Rules for Eating." In this article Pollan curtly sums up all that he has learned about food and eating in 7 words and 7 rules: "'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.'" 

As a yogi, I know that finding the correct foods to nourish my body is especially important. I try to stay in virbadrasana or warrior form, which includes feeding myself the correct fuel :) That is not to say that I don't occasionally enjoy some junk foods like my favorite hot tamales or cinnamon buns. But I try to make these things a treat rather than a constant. 

Aryuveda, the science that accompanies yoga, is an incredibly interesting and useful tool for finding a healthy balance for each individual. Aryuveda uses doshas of vata (air), pita (fire and water), and kapha (earth and water) to classify each persons energy. It is a science much more widely recognized in India, but has influenced many westerners especially concerning healthy nutrition. To find out which dosha or mix of doshas you are click here. This online quiz seems rather accurate in finding one's dosha since speaking to an aryuvedic doctor in India is much more difficult.  Discovering your dosha can help you find which foods best nourish you energetically.

Enjoy foods and be aware of which foods make you feel good in not just the moment but also down-the-road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment